Ready to step up to a really special vacation?
Smile. You’ve come to the right place.
Our lakeside resort communities of Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and Boyne City are surrounded by some of the most beautiful hiking trails imaginable. These trails lead though magnificent forests, along the shores of sparkling inland lakes and along crystal-clear rivers and streams. Wildlife abounds, and with every crest of a hill another awesome vista arises.
Following is a brief list of some of the most popular trails in the area. Click here for a complete trails listing.
- Avalanche Mountain Preserve – 300 acres of woodlands; views of Lake Charlevoix
- Bear River Valley Recreation Area – steep bluffs, unpaved trails, boardwalks, forest areas all in the city of Petoskey
- Little Traverse Conservancy Nature Preserves – hike through hardwood forests, explore creeks looking for wildlife, stroll along sandy beaches
- Michigan Fisheries Visitor Center – self-guided hiking/nature trails along with guided hatchery tours
- North Central Michigan College – a very scenic trail bordering the beautiful Bear River
- The North Country Trail – the longest National Scenic Trail in the United States, passing through seven states and bisecting Petoskey